Staff Attorney Partner – Bilingual (English/Spanish) Immigration Attorney
GWLS is excited to announce the job opening for a full-time, bilingual (English/Spanish) Immigration Attorney. The new attorney will join the other staff attorney partners in our growing non-profit law firm, managing an increasing caseload of immigration cases, including family-based immigration, consular processing, U Visa and VAWA applications, Naturalizations, DACA, and other immigration benefits. GWLS also anticipates the addition of removal/deportation defense services within the next six months to a year. As they relate to immigration, further duties may include family and criminal law case assistance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Staff Attorney Partner will provide direct legal representation to GWLS clients. The Staff Attorney Partner will also provide support for GWLS’s other services, including monthly legal advice clinics, legal empowerment workshops, community-driven problem solving, and holistic advocacy. An ability to focus on individual client representation while also passionately advocating for the entire community is required. Experience in nonprofit or community-based organizations strongly preferred. The Staff Attorney Partner will conduct client consultations, provide ongoing case management, supervise staff support (including law student and other volunteers), develop outreach and empowerment initiatives, join the Waco Immigrant Resource Task Force and other community-wide immigration support networks, and continue further collaborative efforts with the entire community to help meet the needs of our client population. Overall, the duty and responsibility of the staff attorney is to further GWLS’s mission to provide affordable legal services, holistic advocacy, and community-driven problem-solving so that all members of our community have equal access to justice.
· Licensed to practice law
· Experience as an immigration attorney preferred, but a newly licensed attorney with a passion to work with us and among our immigrant community will be considered. The Staff Attorney Partner will be given legal representation responsibility from day one, but under the close guidance of GWLS’s Managing Attorney Partner and other Staff Attorney Partners.
· Prior legal services, public interest, or other experience in and dedication to serving low-income persons and/or vulnerable communities preferred
· Experience coordinating community services, working with community partners, and/or participating in volunteer-based projects
· Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
· Commitment to working in a faith-infused environment
· The ability to think and plan strategically and to develop and implement projects
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability required
· Willingness to travel in Texas for client matters
SALARY: $40,000 - $45,000 per year, based on experience.
TO APPLY: Along with your resume, send a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and detailing your qualifications and experience to Kent McKeever, Managing Attorney Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org